1975 Harley FLH Shovelhead Bobber
Alain of Z-Bros from El Paso, Texas, United States made available these photos of his beautiful 1975 Harley FLH Shovelhead Bobber which he affectionally named his Nostalgia Bobber. He bought this bike around 1990, she was an FLH Police Special from Virginia. Alain stripped her down, took the bags off, replaced the big front end with a Springer fork, and replaced the rear swingarm with a rigid kit.
Alain uses this bike as a daily rider. In view of El Paso's desert sand covered roads and harsh sun conditions, Alain kept the finish simple and and strong as possible. Alain had the frame and fork satin-finish powdercoated by Ary Marivani of El Paso Powdercoating.
1975 Harley Nostalgia Bobber - Specifications
Alain gave us the following specifics for his Shovelhead Bobber:
• Year/Make: 1975 Harley Davidson FLH;
• Rebuilt: Z-Bros Customs;
• Build time: Forever it seems;
• Engine: 1975 1200cc Harley Davidson Shovelhead;
• Cam: Crane Fireball;
• Ignition: Crane HI-4;
• Carb: S&S Super E;
• Pipes: Paughco Nostalgia;
• Air Cleaner: S&S Teardrop;
• Transmission: 1975 Harley Davidson 4-speed;
• Primary: Stock H-D;
• Clutch: Barnett;
• Frame: 1975 FLH modified rigid;
• Rake: Stock Harley Davidson;
• Stretch: Stock Harley Davidson;
• Forks: Harley Davidson springer;
• Wheels: 3x16 wire spoked;
• Tires: 5.00x16 Avon;
• Front Brake: Performance Machine dual piston;
• Rear Brake: GMA dual piston;
• Fuel Tank: Harley Davidson with Cateye dash;
• Oil Tank: Wrap around/battery;
• Fender: Z-Bros Custom;
• Handlebars: Beach Bars (for now);
• Risers: Stock Harley Davidson;
• Hand Controls: Stock H-D;
• Grips: Nostalgia red;
• Pegs: Nostalgia black;
• Foot Controls: Stock forward H-D;
• Headlight: 7" Harley Davidson style;
• Taillight: Sparto;
• Painter: Blind;
• Color: Black;
• Powdercoating: Ary Marivani/El Paso Powdercoating;
• Polishing: Forgot to polish... ;
• Electrical: Stock Harley Davidson;
• Seat: Ultima Solo;
Alain changed the seat from regular springs to Chopper Shox, which raised the seating position on the Ultima Solo seat by about 4 inches but made the ride a lot more comfortable. According to Alain he can't tell the difference between his Softail and his Shovelhead Bobber...
1975 FLH Shovelhead Engine
Alain: "The bike does have an electric starter, but I use it only if she's been sitting for a while. She always starts on one or two kicks. I think I've done three kicks only once during the 20 years that I've owned that bike."
Original Harley Davidson 4-speed tranny.
Harley Springer Fork
Alain: "This is an original-style Harley-Davidson springer fork. All the ones now are in-line and this is an offset."
Alain recently changed the springs under the Ultima Solo seat, and due to the higher seating position he is currently considering to replace these Beach Bars.
Hardtailed Bobber Rear End
Nostalgia all over: Vintage style simple two-into-one header-wrapped exhaust with classic fishtail end.
The Man and His Bike